Classic Jam Hits

hos

Going through my computer the other day, I found the .pdfs of these classic book sets, and thought to post them here for whoever wants them: Frazer’s The Golden Bough, The Mythology of All Races, and Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament. Whatever their limitations now, they are still great resources. I can’t remember where I found them, but it’s probably still difficult to cobble all of these sets together on one page. So I can at least offer that:

***

Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament, edited by James B. Pritchard: Volume 1 | Volume 2

***

The Golden Bough, by James. G. Frazer:

The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings (Part 1)
The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings (Part 2)

Taboo and the Perils of the Soul
The Dying God
Adonis, Attis, Osiris (Part 1)
Adonis, Attis, Osiris (Part 2)
Spirits of the Corn and of the Wild (Part 1)
Spirits of the Corn and of the Wild (Part 2)
The Scapegoat
Balder the Beautiful (Part 1)
Balder the Beautiful (Part 2)
Bibliography and General Index

Oceanic, by Roland Burrage Dixon
North American, by Hartley Burr Alexander
Latin American, by Hartley Burr Alexander
Egyptian and Indo-Chinese, by Wilhelm Max Müller and James George Scott
Complete Index

1. K. C. Dockal says:

Thank you, Tim. Just the briefest perusal gave me pause. The preface of The Dying God–well, what can I say?

2. Goodness, Tim. Is this an attempt at downsizing? I’m impressed. I keep looking at our over-full and many shelves and thinking I need to do SOMETHING, anything, to relieve, but I can’t. I’m impressed. J.

3. randyjw says:

Wow… I always thought somebody ought to have done this… and there you go.

4. The golden bough was a life altering read for me.

5. Thank you, amigo! Have you cross-referenced with what is available at Gutenberg.org?

6. Wow. What a fabulous resource of….um….resources!
    Thank you for this!

7. Major Styles says:

Nice work. I am looking to add things like this to my reading list. Great work.

8. Spira says:

The word “least” doesn’t do justice to this offering!!
    Hats off, sir!

Thank you! I’m really surprised at how many thankyous I’m getting; it was posted mostly for a lark, so I could access these files when not at home!

Thank you Mr. Styles

I haven’t, but posted these assuming that even if Gutenberg did have them, they’d be in .txt format. But for Frazer especially you need all the footnotes & all the (to us) weird words formatted properly. The .pdfs will do it.

Good to hear from you, Janet. Yes, a strange bit of pre-spring cleaning, isn’t it?

13. thanks for dropping by, blessings