An episode from 8/4/22: Tonight, listen to my four-part episode on the atomic bomb, from its development, to the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and after. I draw almost entirely from the words of those who were there. The full text of the quotations used here can be found in the blog versions of these podcasts.
The books, documentaries, and poems used to make these episodes are:
- The Making of the Atomic Bomb, by Richard Rhodes
- Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb, by Richard Rhodes
- American Prometheus: The Triumph & Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin
- J. Robert Oppenheimer: Shatterer of Worlds, by Peter Goodchild.
- John Else’s documentary, The Day After Trinity, can be watched here.
- John Bradley’s anthology of poets writing about the bomb is Atomic Ghosts: Poets Respond to the Atomic Age.
- My poem about Robert Oppenheimer can be read here.
Any comments, or suggestions for readings I should make in later episodes, can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to join Human Voices Wake Us on Patreon, or sign up for our newsletter here. You can also support the podcast by ordering any of my books: Notes from the Grid, To the House of the Sun, The Lonely Young & the Lonely Old, and Bone Antler Stone.